senior research fellow
- +36 1 309 2600 / 1108
- +36 1 319 3137
- nemeth.peter at csfk.org
- 310. szoba
Place and date of birth
- Pápa, 1978.01.19
- 2005 PhD (Earth Science) University of Torino, (year of naturalization: 2008, institute of naturalization: Eötvös Loránd University). Title of the dissertation: Characterization of new mineral phases belonging to the heterophyllosilicate series
- 2001 Geologist ELTE TTK 2001. Title of the dissertation: "Mineralogical investigation of the Polgárdi scarn"
- 2001-2004 PhD student, University of Torino, Olaszország
- 2005-2006 postdoc Arizona State University, USA
- 20007-2012 Research fellow, Institute of Materials and Environmental Chemistry Chemical Research Centre, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 2012-2014 postdoc Arizona State University, USA
- 2014-2021 Senior research fellow, Institute of Materials and Environmental Chemistry Research Centre for Natural Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 2021- Senior research fellow, Institute for Geological and Geochemical Research, ELKH Research Centre for Astronomy and Earth Sciences
- English Intermediate Level Write and read (C)
- Italian Intermediate Level Write and read (C)
Main fields of research
- Structures and properties of diamond nanocrystals; study of next-generation diamonds.
- Mineralogical and geochemical investigation of carbonate polymorphic formation processes, study of precursor calcium carbonates.
- Role of atomic resolution electron microscopy for understanding the structures and properties of minerals and synthetic materials.
- Study of defects (dislocations, stacking faults, twins) and phase transitions.
- as project leader:
- OTKA-NKTH, HUMAN MB08A, 2012-2014 (30 months), Place of implementation: ASU, Tempe (USA) Project title: Structures and properties of synthetic and natural nanodiamonds.
- OTKA-NKTH FK123871 2017-2022 (48+12 months). Project title: Structure of cave carbonates - Mineralogical and geochemical analyses of carbonate polymorph formation processes in speleothems
- OTKA-NKTH KH126501 2019-2021 (24+12 months). Project title: Tracing peculiar diamond nanostructures
- 2019-2.1.11-TÉT-2019-00016 2020-2022 (24+12 months). Project title: Cryogenic Cave Carbonates, the sediments
- OTKA-NKTH-FWF ANN20 134433 2020-2024 (48 months). Project title: Cryogenic Cave Carbonates
- Interpretation of the structure of impact diamonds via state-of-the-art transmission electron microscopy, identification of subnanometer-size defects and recognition of new types of material properties.
- Identification and interpretation of graphite-diamond transformation at the atomic level
- Identification of next generation diamond-related materials and recognition of the technical possibilities inherent in the material family – diamond coatings with exceptionally hardness as well as increased toughness and ductility, diamonds with tunable electrical, optical and thermoelectric properties.
- Identification of a new nanocrystalline calcium carbonate modification (monoclinic aragonite) and its complex structural characterization via state-of-the-art 3D electron diffraction tomography
- Recognition of the amorphous calcium carbonate-secreting ability of bacterial strains in the Baradla Cave and multispectral study of the amorphous material.
- 2005-2006 Arizona State University, Tempe (USA)
- 2011 Ehime University, Matsuyama (Japán)
- 2012-2014 Arizona State University, Tempe (USA)
Membership of scientific and professional organizations
- 1998- member of the Hungarian Geological Society
- 2008- member of the Hungarian Society for Microscopy
- 2008- member of the Hungarian Workgroup of Nanominerals
- 2021- member of the Committee of Geochemistry, Mineralogy and Petrology of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 21/08/2010 – 27/08/2010 International Mineralogical Association meeting, section “Recent progress in the occurrences, structures, and uses of terrestrial and extraterrestrial nanodiamonds"
Research grants, scholarships
- MTA-JSPS short term mobility (3 weeks), 2011; Place of implementation: Ehime University, Matsuyama (Japan); Project title: Nanodiamond synthesis with special attention to lonsdaleite
- Bolyai János Research Fellowship (36 months), 2014-2017,Project title: Structures of diamond nanocrystals (classification of the final report: excellent)
- Bolyai János Research Fellowship (36 months), 2018-2021, Project title: Carbonate polymorph formation processes in cave sediments and synthetic samples.
- ITM ÚNKP-19-4 (10 months) Bolyai+ Higher Education Young Teacher, Research Fellowship Application, 2019-2020, Project title: Carbonate polymorph formation processes in cave sediments and synthetic samples.
- ITM ÚNKP-20-5-PE-7 (12 months) Bolyai+ Higher Education Young Teacher, Research Fellowship Application, 2020-2021, Project title: Carbonate polymorph formation processes in cave sediments and synthetic samples.
- 2001 Excellent Student of Eötvös Loránd University, founder: Eötvös Loránd University. Recognition: Outstanding study work and scientific activity
- 2015 Vendl Mária Award, founder: Hungarian Geological Society. Recognition: Achievements in the study of carbon allotropes and their transformation
- 2018 Bolyai Memorial Plate, founder: Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Recognition: Outstanding reports about the research in the framework of the scholarship
- 2020 VEAB Researcher of the Year, founder: Veszprém Regional Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Recognition: Outstanding scientific work in the last 10 years
Prizes won at scientific competitions
- 1999 Special award at the Young Scientist Conference, founder: Geological Institute of Hungary, recognition: Dissertation
- 2001 Special award at the XXV National Student Conference, founder: National Scientific Student Conference, recognition: Dissertation
- 2009- „Theory and practice of electron microscopy” laboratory course for students of Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest University of Technology and Economics and Óbuda University.
- 2019- „Theory and practice of transmission electron microscopy” laboratory course for students of University of Pannonia.
- Laurence A.J. Garvie, Peter R. Buseck (Arizona State University, Tempe, USA)
- Paul F. McMillan, Kit McColl, Christoph G. Salzmann (University of College London, London, UK)
- Christoph Spötl, Yuri Dublyansky (University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Ausztria)
- Enrico Mugnaioli, Mauro Gemmi (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Pisa, IT)
Selected publications of the last 5 years
Németh P., McColl K., Garvie L.A.J., Salzmann C.G., Murri M., McMillan P.F.: Complex nanostructures in diamond, NATURE MATERIALS, 2020
Chemistry (miscellaneous) 3/435 (D1) IF: 38.663*
Független idéző: 6
Németh P., McColl Kit, Smith Rachael L., Murri Mara, Garvie Laurence A. J., Alvaro Matteo, Pécz Béla, Jones Adrian P., Corà Furio, Salzmann Christoph G., McMillan Paul F.: Diamond-Graphene Composite Nanostructures, NANO LETTERS 20: (5) pp. 3611-3619., 2020
Bioengineering 8/153 (D1) IF: 12.344*
Független idéző: 6
Enyedi NT, Makk J, Kótai L, Berényi B, Klébert Sz, Sebestyén Z, Molnár Zs, Borsodi AK., Leél-Őssy Sz, Demény A, Németh P: Cave bacteria-induced amorphous calcium carbonate formation, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 10: (1) 8696, 2020
Multidisciplinary 9/138 (D1) IF: 3.998*
Független idéző: 6
Németh P, Mugnaioli E, Gemmi M, Czuppon G, Demény A, Spötl C: A nanocrystalline monoclinic CaCO3 precursor of metastable aragonite, SCIENCE ADVANCES 4: (12) eaau6178, 2018
Multidisciplinary 3/117 (D1) IF: 12.804
Független idéző: 14
Németh P, Leinenweber K, Ohfuji H, Groy T, Domanik KJ, Kovács IJ, Kovács JS, Buseck PR: Water-bearing, high-pressure Ca-silicates, EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCE LETTERS 469: pp. 148-155., 2017
Független idéző: 5
Earth and Planetary Sciences (miscellaneous) 5/273 (D1) IF 4.581
Last update 2021.08.02.